Policies & Prices
2015-2016 RDS Policies
All students are required to wear proper dancewear during class. It is very important to see the lines of the body during dance classes, so all clothing must be form fitting and allow free movement.
- Ballet and Creative Movement: Leotard and tights. Any color is acceptable. Students may wear dance skirts or form fitting shorts if desired.
- Jazz, Tap, and Lyrical: Leotard and tights, dance tops and jazz pants or capris, etc.
- HipHop: clothing that allows movement. T-shirts, tank tops, cargo pants, sweatpants, and shorts are all acceptable.
Street or school clothes are not appropriate dance attire. Absolutely NO JEANS. No shorts without tights underneath!
Dancers are required to wear appropriate dance shoes for all classes. Any brand is acceptable as long as the following color requirements are met. Please make sure to write your dancer’s name in their shoes.
- Ballet: pink ballet shoes
- Jazz: tan jazz shoes, both lace up and slip-on are acceptable
- Tap: tan tap shoes
- Hip Hop: clean tennis shoes used ONLY for dance class and never worn outside
- Lyrical: bare feet or nude dance paws
- Creative Movement: bare feet
No street shoes on the dance floor and no dance shoes worn outside!
All students are required to have their hair neatly pulled back and out of their face so that it does not interfere with dance class activities. Ponytails, buns, and braids are all acceptable. Students will be asked to secure their hair if it is not properly pulled back before participating in class.
The dance studio is a place where we all come to train in the art of the dance. Because of this, the studio deserves a special respect that a playground or school gym may not receive. With that in mind, please follow these guidelines:
- No running or horseplay in the studio or lobby area. This includes students and siblings.
- Students should only enter the studio when directed by the instructor.
- Only water with a secure lid is allowed in the cubby area. All other food and drink must remain in the lobby. Absolutely no gum.
- Please make sure dancers use the restroom before class as constant trips to the restroom can become a disturbance.
- A good general rule: If it’s not yours, don’t touch it. This applies to other dancers, their belongings, items at reception, etc. All dancers and siblings will be required to adhere to this rule.
Students need to give their instructor their full attention during dance classes. Being constantly observed often proves to be a distraction. Therefore the studio is closed to all except those enrolled in class. Curtains to the studios may be left open or closed at the discretion of the instructor.
Parents, siblings, other family members, and friends are welcome to observe class on designated Parent Observation weeks. Parent Observation Weeks will be held in December and May. Attendance is highly encouraged and make sure you bring your cameras!
Tuition and Fees
Tuition is based on the amount of instruction time per week that the dancer is enrolled in.
Tuition is due on the first class of the month and may be placed in the tuition payment box in the lobby. Please place cash payments in an envelope. The dancer’s name must written on the check or envelope to ensure it will be applied to the correct account.
After the 10th of the month, tuition is considered late and a $10 late fee will be added to the amount due. Class fees are nonrefundable. Tuition will remain the same if your dancer misses class or if the studio is closed as we do not charge extra when there are 5 classes in a month.
A nonrefundable $25 registration fee is due at the time of registration. Additional family members may register for $15.
A $25 service charge will be issued for all returned checks.
Holidays and Inclement Weather
We will observe the Knox County School schedule for Fall Break, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Break.
In the case of inclement weather, please check our website, Facebook page, or call the studio. The safety of our dancers and their families is our first priority. If you are unsure if we are open, please call to verify before coming to dance classes.
Our end of year recital is a dancer’s opportunity to show family and friends the skills they have learned and the progress they have made throughout the year. While participation in the recital is not required, it is strongly encouraged. A $25 recital fee is due for those choosing to participate. The fee does not include the price of costumes, which generally run approximately $65. Dancers will be required to purchase costumes for each dance they participate in. Combination classes will only purchase one costume.